Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Guided by the Holy Spirit

Yesterday, a friend and I had a lengthy conversation about the Catholic Church. We discussed many issues, one of which was papal infallibility. We discussed how the authority of the Church comes from Christ and that the Pope and the Bishops in conference may speak infallibily through the guidance of the Holy Spirit in matters of faith and morals.

In no way am I any type of authority on the Church but I tried to explain these parts of the Catholic Faith as best I could. Even thought he didn't say it I got a sense of "it isn't in the Bible and I'm not believing it"

Today's Gospel reading stood out to me in light of this conversation:


Jesus said to his disciples: “When the Advocate comes whom I will send you from the Father, the Spirit of truth that proceeds from the Father, he will testify to me. And you also testify, because you have been with me from the beginning.

“I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now. But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to you the things that are coming. He will glorify me, because he will take from what is mine and declare it to you. Everything that the Father has is mine; for this reason I told you that he will take from what is mine and declare it to you.” Jn 15:26-27, 16:12-15

“I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now. But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth."

Throughout the ages, the one Truth of Christ has been revealed to the Church thought the guidance of the Holy Spirit as the Father saw fit. As I pointed out in the conversation is seems like infallible statements from the pope or bishops are rare today. Yet we can still rely on the Holy Spirit to reveal truths to us as they are needed, when we are ready to accept and bear them if you will. In times of trial, confusion, or even error we can rely on the Holy Spirit to reveal the Truth to us through the authority of the Church as established by Christ.

No comments: