Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Parable of the Prodigal Son and Confession

In today's readings we have the Parable of the Prodigal Son, Luke 15: 11 - 32. I thought Fr. Steven related this parable to our need for the Sacrament of Reconciliation quite well. Here is a brief look at what he said with some expansion of my own.

He pointed out that a lot of people object to going to confession saying, "I don't need to go to a priest for forgiveness." However, Fr. Steven points out that the prodigal son could have easily said to himself, "I am sorry for my sins and I know that my father will forgive me" and left it at that. But, the son knew that he needed to HEAR his father's words of forgiveness. So he returned to his father's house to confess his sins and seek forgiveness.

The son plans to say three things, 1. I have sinned, 2. I am no longer worthy to be called your son, and 3. treat me as you would one of your hired servants. However, the father does not allow the son to say this third thing. Rather the father says, "this my son was dead, and is come to life again: was lost, and is found."

In the Sacrament of Reconciliation when we humbly admit our sins and lamment that we are not worthy to be called sons of God. However, we are given by the grace of God the assurance and joy that God runs to meet us and greet us as His sons. Though unworthy of it, He will not deny us His love and kinship.

No comments: